Monday, October 12, 2009

Appreciating the Ocean


Although I am not a beach person, I do love to look at the ocean. I do not like being in the ocean- the sand and shells on the bottom, the waves knocking me down, especially since I am not a swimmer, the size brings up my fear of drowning. But I appreciate the eternal nature of it- the constancy of the waves, the vastness of the water, the predictability of the tides. It is a force of nature to be reckoned with- greater than man. It helps put humans in a place in the universe other than in charge. I am in awe of its beauty.

The series I did based on the oceans and seas I have had the pleasure to see: the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans and the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Coral and Tasman Seas.

Here are two mixed media examples from the series. From the top: Turquoise Waves and Turquoise Water.

1 comment: