Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Tokaj Region in Hungary






My trip to Hungary began with a three-day visit to the wine region in the northeast section of Hungary. The Jews had been very integrated into the wine industry in the 18th and 19th centuries and had been very successful. They had built very large synagogues in their small towns. Now, the Jews were gone, killed by the Nazis and Iron Cross, but the buildings still existed. Depending on who was left in each town, there were different results of what happened to the cemeteries and synagogues. The area is lovely. The landscapes are pretty. The history is harrowing!

We stayed in the Grof Degenfeld Castle Hotel (top 2 photographs) and traveled to various small towns each day. The trip was very enlightening. I had a reaction that I did not expect!! In fact, it so startled me that I can home and made art so new that I had to buy a computer and learn how to use Photoshop to create it. The experience was life-changing for me. Our driver, guide, my husband and I became a band of 4 who experienced this together. Although they were Hungarian, they had never been to the wine district. We all learned together. More about that later.

All photograps were taken by me on the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment